Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Friday, January 21, 2005

Singing demons...

I thought I'd write about one of my favourite characters from Angel.

His proper name is Krevlorneswath of the Deathwok Clan, but better known as Lorne. He is the owner and the host of a karaoke bar frequented by demons. However, his bar rules include no violence. He is skilled with the ability of being able to read a person's aura and then offer guidance, by listening to them sing. So demons and humans alike get on stage and have him 'read' them. This opens all sorts of opportunity for both some great laughs, as well as some talent to grace the episodes.

For example, Angel the title character is -not- a singer. And not only is he not a singer, the idea of this dark, sexy, brooding vampire getting up onstage to sing in itself is a wonderfully amusing picture. And the song choices...where to start ;) However, at the end of Season 2 one of the lawyers (don't want to give too many details for those who have never watched and you will...YES...you will) gets up on stage, he's cute enough already, but strums his guitar and sings and yes...my skin began to tingle...I enjoyed it immensely. That whole scene was very well done...lots of humour in that scene with Angel as well.

Lorne is green (yes...the Lorne Green joke has been done) with red horns, is -extremely- flamboyant and a great dresser. He can also bring a musical theatre fan like myself to her knees with his singing. He's not the greatest singer alive, but he's got more performance in one of those little horns than most people have in well, their entire lives.

Anyways...I'm not all that good at describing how good something is...or why I love it so much. But Lorne's character always glues me to his scenes. Laughing at all the jokes, wanting to sing along if I know the words. He just makes me smile.

(actually that goes for most characters of Buffy & Angel)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter