Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Spring is in the air...

March 20 was the first day of Spring. I have two new Spring coats and promised myself that I would start wearing them as soon as the weather showed any sign of warmth. Gotta get my money's worth...plus I LOVE the jackets and can't wait to wear them.

Yesterday, the forecast was for a high of +3, and it looked -gorgeous- from my apartment window. So I threw on the new pink coat and bounced out into the street. Well, not only was it still cold, it was wet rain snowing...poo! And even though I was fighting a cold, it didn't matter, I was going to wear that new coat. Because how cute was I? ;) And I was REALLY cute...loves it!

So this morning, lying in bed, listening to the weather forecast, when they said it would be +5 today, well I practically hopped out of bed (no I didn't, I am still fighting that cold) and knew that I'd be sporting my gorgeous blue coat today (with a pashmina scarf to cover my throat and neck and chest...you know that darn cold)...but it looks real cute and so did I...so out in the street did I bounce again this morning.

I stopped at my morning store to pick up a banana. The gentleman charges $0.50 a banana, which is way more than if I bought my bananas each week at the grocery store, but this way I always get a fresh banana, no over-ripe ones that have been sitting on my counter all week. Plus, every couple of days he waves my two quarters away and I get my banana free, I figure it all balances out. And some days I buy some juice, or a bagel as well. I love this world of the small business owner, if he wants to give my my (overpriced) banana free (because he thinks I'm cute...lol) once in a while, he can. ;) So I pop in today again for my banana and today he waves away my change. I smile and thank him. He then tells me he likes my new coat (the blue one) and I blush and thank him again, in a bit of a flirty way (even though I'm not interested...but the guy is making an effort...so he deserves a good flirt). Then just as I'm picking up the Metro (free morning paper), that he keeps a pile of on one of the tables in the store, he says he really liked my coat yesterday (the pink one)...and I repeat the smiley, flirty, blushy thank you. And then I bounce right out of the store.

Why am I moving? I know the building sucks, the elevator sucks, the apartment is too small, there is no balcony, it is too warm all year, I can smell everything from all the other apartments including the drugs, and it's just a bad place to live...but I have my wonderful little morning banana man ritual...and I'm REALLY going to miss things like this. I'm going to miss the neighbourhood, and my local video store (where I have a major crush on one of the employees), and all the colour in my neighbourhood, and the Pizza Pizza on the corner at 3am on a Friday...AND wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I don't want to move...I really don't want to move. I don't want to leave my neighbourhood.

Why don't I stay? Because I cannot justify spending easily $200 more than what I'm paying at my new place, for what I have at my new place. Can I afford it? Yes...but $200 a month? That's $2,400 a year...that's a vacation, a downpayment on a car, RRSP contribution for my eventual Home Buyers plan withdrawal, part of my godson's education fund, more Spring jackets. That money is worth so much more doing other things than the luxury of my overpriced morning banana from the flirty little local small business owner.

And yet...I've considered it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter