Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

So here’s the apartment update…

Last week I mentioned this place that I was going to go look at and how excited I was about it. Well not so much. I drove past it and after seeing the building itself and the location, I knew that there was no way I would be moving there. The building was questionable and kitty corner to one of the less than classy joints in town, Filmore’s (lots of fun to visit, but not so much fun to stay).

But all that apartment thinking had finally sunk into my brain. The wheels and cogs were turning and now there was no shutting them off. With my mother & sister in town the topic was thoroughly discussed. Saturday morning at breakfast we bought the paper and started perusing the rental ads.

After mom and sis left for the day I started looking in earnest and then began booking appointments to see some places that afternoon. I saw a beautiful condo right in the downtown core and of course fell in love with it, I mean it had -all- the bonuses; 24hr concierge, in unit washer/dryer, gym, sauna, rooftop patio, plus the promise of young single professionals in the building.

However, looking at the whole cost, although I could probably afford it, it would mean giving up some luxuries, like eating. But what a great diet that would make, right?

After that I looked at a two bedroom in a basement, a tiny one bedroom on the third floor and a bizarrely small bachelor in a townhouse condo community. I had saved the one that interested me the most, but lacked one key component, for the last. It had everything I wanted, well, almost. It is in a building, it has a balcony, a great view, more space than I have now, all new appliances, redone kitchen and bathroom and floors, and it is almost twice the size of my current apartment. How could I complain? I could because it is out of my bubble, it’s almost twice the distance to work.

So I went to see it. It really is everything that I want. It’s what I have now, plus a bedroom and a balcony. The view is spectacular, it’s on the twelfth floor and faces due South, overlooking lake Ontario. On a clear day I should be able to see right across to my grandfather’s in St. Catharines.

Presently the apartment itself is in shambles, the kitchen and the bathroom ripped out, save for the tub. But I have seen an apartment in the completed stage and it looks great.

So yes, this place will have everything I want. It’s not in the best part of the city but not the worst either. It has it’s charms and I’m looking forward to it.

I have already had my deposit cheque certified. I will be going over on Saturday morning to sign the lease and hand over my deposit.

I have spoken with one of the superintendents and she has agreed to allow me to come in and paint a couple of weeks prior to my move in date, as well as begin to move in some boxes and such. These are both huge bonuses for me because I prefer the slow two week move in. I like to take my time and not feel rushed.

It’s two months away until I’ll be settled and I have so much to do in that time, but I am very excited. First things first, is to measure everything when I go back on Saturday. That way I can start designing. Hopefully I will be here for a long time, and the next moving story I tell, it will be when I’m buying.

Now, on a completely different note…I absolutely love this pen. I bought it at the discount store across the street, and well…it’s pretty darn awesome. I know, it’s a silly thing to be happy about, but I like a good writing tool, nothing like a freshly sharpened 2HB pencil, or a brand new box of Crayola crayons. Yes, this pen is that good, it gently glides almost sensually across the page.

Okay…enough…g’night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter