Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Risk VS Reward

(Side note* I wrote this following post in bed last night...this morning I took my first market risk and bought some stock…a very high risk stock…and have used the majority of my savings to do so. Now the stock has to rise at least $0.40 from the price I paid…simply to cover the commissions I’ve paid (and yes…I bought near the high of the day, so it’s already dropped $0.08)…I’m already feeling nauseous…sorta like when in a relationship)

I read something this evening while studying my financial course. It said that the pain of losing something is twice that of the please of acquiring the same thing. The statement was of course referring to financial investing, however, I think the statement can be applied to investing in relationships as well.

When entering into a relationship we have to gage how much risk we are willing to assume. If I put everything out there, I risk losing everything. Is it worth the risk? Can I afford to let myself get hurt for a chance at happiness?

I remember telling a friend recently, when I was ecstatically happy, to remind me of how happy I was if ever anything occurred where I was not happy. She obligingly did. When you lose that thing that makes you feel happy, you not only feel like you’ve lost everything and are at 0.00, you feel like you’ve gone negative…equal to the positive that you felt, which explains the twice as bad as the good you felt.

Is it worth it? I believe it is. I believe the saying that it is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all. I will happily go to my grave knowing I always put myself out there. I will never turn away or be afraid of losing. You cannot gain anything if you don’t take that chance, take that risk.

In finance the more wealth you have, the more risk you will likely be able to accept. In love, I believe I am one of the wealthiest people in the world, and therefore I can afford to take all the risks in the world. Every time I have lost what I was seeking, I have had all the love in my heart there, waiting for the next chance.

As you assume risk and lose, you also have the ability to gain, to gain knowledge and understanding. Each time you take on more risk, you do so with a more educated view. You are able to see things more clearly (I can see clearly now…), therefore being smarter about the risk, and using this knowledge to lessen the risk.

As long as I can continue to learn about others, and myself, I can continue to put myself out there.

I am not perfect, far from it. But I am learning to understand my imperfections, and more importantly, I am learning to accept them as well as love myself despite of them. This is what I seek from others. I do not wish to be loved for what I have, but for who am I as well as what I lack, to be loved, not only despite my imperfections…but because of them. If you love a person’s negatives, then you can truly spend the rest of your life with that person, because nothing they can do can upset you. In any bad situation you will look up on them with love and understand them, and then love them even more. It is the way to get through this life. It is your unconditional love for your fellow man.

Every dark cloud does have a silver lining. There is -always- something to be glad about. If you can always find the bad in any situation, then you should equally be able to find the good. And if when you find the bad, you see the good, nothing can ever set you back.

Keep loving, keep smiling and keep learning and growing. Give to others the love and understanding that you want in return and you will get it.

Take a moment each day to be thankful for those that love you. The power of love is immeasurable. I do believe that love does make the world go around.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was beautifully written. I hope I can be as available as you when it comes to love. I have not had the will to "put myself out there" when it comes to relationships yet, but when I do, I hope that I will listen to what you said.

    Love Your Gordo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter