Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Moving...

...how very stressful.

Saturday morning I awoke hours before my alarm went off with the excitement of a child on Christmas morning. I couldn't wait to get my new apartment all set up, not moved in mind you, just set up. Set up, meaning fully painted, any technical things set up (new lighting, outlet face plates, curtain rods, etc.) and get new furniture built. I was also planning to move in some of my already packed boxes and maybe a small piece of furniture or two. I really wanted to get the big job of painting job and then all the little piddly stuff done.

The week before I had gone to the building to check out the work that had been done on the apartment as they had completely replaced the kitchen and half replaced the bathroom. I brought Nerdifer with me. Once there we talked a bit with one of the superintendants (there are 3, two of which I have met, the third is the office person with whom I have only spoken). She informed me that they would be sanding and refinishing the floors in the coming week (plural, that week) and she would be cleaning the apartment after that (the bathroom was pretty gross). I confirmed that I would be painting the following weekend and as well would like to move some of the boxes and bags in. No worries...so I skipped off in sheer delight that everything was going smoothly.

However, Saturday morning Nerdifer and I went to the apartment bright and early in order to tape the walls before the painting began and much to my absolute horror and surprise...*SIGH*...the floors had not been done and NOTHING had been cleaned. So I spoke with the other superintendant. I explained to him about what the other superintendant had told to the previous weekend. He (apparently the husband of the woman I haven't met) was extremely passive and I realized it was futile in even speaking with him about the issue. And is was made very clear that moving any boxes in or building any furniture could not be done until the floors were done. I was very frustrated but realized that there was nothing I could do.

Shortly after this conversation, and mid-way through the taping of the apartment there was a knock on the door. It was the first superintendant. She began to argue with me about the issue above. I have wondered as to why she would even bother coming up and argue with me about this. I was over it. There was nothing that could be done, issue closed. I now realize that she was trying to cover her @ss about telling me the floors would be done and boxes could be moved in. She explained that when she notified the third (unmet) superintendant of my painting the following weekend that she decided they would not do the floors until after I had painted for fear that I would ruin them while painting. (because apparently I don't care about the state of the floors in the apartment to which I'm moving into...arg!) So she picked a pointless argument to cover her butt, in front of my witness from the previous week. The argument was a waste and went something like this...

Me "...but you said..."
Her "...but she said...blah, blah, blah...painting..."
Me "...but you said..."
Her "...but she said...blah, blah, blah...floors..."
Me "...but YOU said..."

*sigh*...it was silly for her to even come to the apartment...and pointless for me to continue arguing but I wasn't going to relent and let her think she was right. Oh dear...I sound irrational...don't I? I WAS!

It took me awhile to get back on track but I was finally able to.

So my mother, sister and step-dad show up...I'm still stressed and frustrated but we settle into organizing the rest of the day. Mom and P*** stay behind to begin painting. My sister, Nerdifer & I leave in the van to do some hardcore speed shopping. I had, the weekend before with Nerdifer picked out the items I wanted to purchase, after the previous alone trip I had done to get ideas of what I wanted to eventually choose. YES...I can go overboard sometimes...but this is my home I'm working on here...and I'm a get it done kinda girl, none of this work on it over time. When I move...I MOVE.

So we power shopped...and yes there was frustration...and yes there were missing (out-of-stock) items...and yes there were ignorant shoppers who stopped in front of us mid-aisle...and yes I was ready to hurt other people. But we got through it. We then carted all of the big boxes up to the apartment where I longingly gazed at them and dreamed of using their delicate little allen keys to make them blossom into the lovely furniture they will become. But alas...that wasn't happening.

The apartment however, was turning out marvellously...the colour going on the wall exciting me and giving me a beautiful imagine of how wonderful it will look when it's all done.

My mother had packed a lovely picnic lunch of build-your-own sandwiches on handy little buns, and veggies and dip, and homemade cookies. We all settled down on the floor and ate until we were full, then dove back into apartment preparations. Around 6 o'clock, all of us feeling completely exhausted we left for the day.

That evening was spent eating pizza and an attempt at a game of 90s Trivial Pursuit, but when playing with Nerdifer, well the games don't last very long. If it had been a game of pool, Nerds never let her oponents on the table. I'm glad we played teams, because I also won :)

The next morning Mom, Sis, Step-dad and I hit the apartment for round two, Nerds having her own life to get back to.

We stepped into the apartment and realized that the primer + two coats of paint we had done on the living area walls the day before was not enough. P*** started painting a 3rd coat with the remaining paint, while the ladies stepped out to pick up the furniture that was out of stock at the stores we had hit the day before, as well as another galon of paint, some gloss (for a table) and some screws and plugs. Sure enough for two hours we drove all around the city looking for furniture that wasn't in stock until I was satisfied and purchased one of the two pieces that I wanted and settled. And brought the paint back.

So we finished the painting and sat on my lovely Terrace (the balcony) for another picnic style lunch with the leftovers from the day before. We finished off the afternoon with putting up the track lighting in the kitchen and hanging up my new wine rack.

The wine rack was being hung on the 2 inch thick wall between the kitchen and the dining room. My sister and I measured it out...got P*** and Mom to eye it. P*** re-measured and marked it. Got out his drill and started drilling....and....brrrrpppppp....uh oh....and I threw up, just a little and just in my mouth. The drill was poking through the nicely painted wall on the otherside...*sigh*...but it has been pushed back and painted over...and as long as I don't pick at it (yup, it's going to need to be properly repaired), it will be fine. :)

So we tidied up and got out of there...and now I have a busier week and an even busier weekend ahead of me....but when I'm done I will have the most marvellous, wonderful, yay apartment EVER! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter