Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

England 2005 - Chapter 7

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:50pm
CONGRATULATIONS LIVERPOOL!!!

Well the day started out badly and ended beautifully.

I awoke to an uncomfortable feeling in my middle. I was wondering if the eclaire, then fish & chips with curry & mushy peas, and a full bottle of wine, 2 bags of crips...not to mention a few black currant candies, might have set my stomach off.

I hadn't slept much as I kept waking up throughout the night feeling quite anxious. My stomach had been bothering me and the toilet wasn't flushing properly...what if I needed to be sick. Mid-night sleep anxiety when one's stomach is unsettled...:(

After I got out of the shower I smelled food and remembered that they were cooking me a big British fry up for breaksfast...which I had specifically asked for the day before...that I had wanted. Urp...

I went downstairs and managed to eat almost everything on my plate. It would have been wonderful, but my stomach was liking me less and less.

S & I got ready to go into town. We left the little darlings. I got lots of cuddles and kisses and head out to Chester for some shopping.

After dropping off my overnight bag in Aunt N's car, and then Cousin S and I hit the town. It's some of the best shopping, siteseeing, walking, interesting stuff anywhere. We looked at things & tried on clothes. I bought two shirts, and flip-flops for the shower at the hostel (*cringe* I hate flip-flops). S had to leave to take the Lady to school. So we bid our adieux and I was on my own.

All I could think about was Pepto-Bismal & Ginger Ale. I couldn't find Ginger Ale anywhere and settled for 7up, which did what I had hoped...it got me burping and relieved some of the pressure. But didn't ease the belly ache at all. Then on to the chemist...Milk of Magnesia...Gaviscon...NO Pepto...*GASP* I practically live on Pepto. I had considered bringing a bottle with me, but figured that they'd have it here. *sigh* So...achy belly it would be.

Yes, it's now after 11pm and my belly is still not itself. But enough of my whinging.

I spent a couple of hours by myself in Chester. I did more shopping, bought an umbrella (it's awesome), saw a tv program being filmed, I flashed my Canadian pin around hoping someone would see it and want to use my lovely accent, but no such luck. :(

Then I stopped to watch the town crier. I have sat and watched this every time I've been in Chester. He was marvellous to watch and took the piss out of a group of Americans that were right up front. That was great to watch. Just because Tony Blair is in love with Dubya...doesn't mean the rest of the country is.

I wander some more and found Marks & Spencers. I picked up the necessary sweeties as well as the perfect Father's Day gift and a great gift for my boss F.

Aunt N called just as I was finishing up and came to meet me at M&S. W went to grab a quick bite to eat. We stopped at a little Italian restaurant and I challenged a bowl of mushroom & leek soup. I ate half...not too shabby.

We then took a drive out to West Kirby, my dad's home town. We drove past my grandparent's most recent house. There were some changes done to the drive and to the front garden.

We then drove through West Kirby. Oh the memories. The restaurant we'd been to on the corner...still call Surfers. The shops in town, all so familiar, especially the one that use to have all the inflatable beach toys hanging out front...but now it's an ice cream parlour. We drove past my dad's old home. So many memories, so many thoughts...the dentist office, the front room with the old piano, the smell of stock pot, the room at the back with the big window onto the back garden...the big long back garden, the camper at the side of the house, the stairs...so many stairs...the smell of Mutti's bedroom, the horrible pictures of old people on the walls that would follow you with your eyes...the wig stand in one of the bedrooms that was also frightening, like a giant faceless white head, the stairs to the attic...the attic, where the toys were kept...*sigh*. I wish we could go inside. But the memories are inside me.

Then we drove to the beach. We sat in the car for awhile, near the spot on the old boardwalk where we'd get Walls ice cream. I really wanted to get one but the urge to purge was still too great. The tide was out. I wish it was nice out and we could walk in the mud with bare feet and then bounce and sink down, like we did as kids...I WILL go back again. I'll park for the day and walk following the tide out to the island...ALL the way to the island :)

We then drove back to S & N's. I spent the rest of the afternoon getting my suitcase organized.

Then a healthy dinner of chicken breast, & potatoes. My tummy didn't revolt once.

N went off to her wine tasting and S & I went off to check out a local pub in Tilston. We took a lovely little drive through the Cheshire villages, but when we got to the Fox and the Hound we found the pub closed & empty. It was still To Let and had not been open for awhile. I had thought an old friend was supposed to be opening it...so we turned around and came home.

Once back at home I picked up a book and did some reading but soon moved inot the tv room where Liverpool was playing Milan in Istanbul for the European Cup finals in football (yes, soccer). I tuned in at 3-0 Milan, when all of a sudden, minutes apart at the top of the 2nd half...wham...bam...slam...! 3 goals for Liverpool!!! The game tied up. No more scoring would be had after that. They played out the rest of the 90 minutes of play and two 15 minute over time periods. Nothing...it's a kickoff. First best out of five.

Milan - Miss
Liverpool - GOAL!!!!
Milan - Miss
Liverpool - GOAL!!!
Milan - goal...
Liverpool - miss *gack*
I'm going to be sick
Milan - Miss
Liverpool GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An it's over...Liverpool wins the cup!!! For the third time...and they get to keep the cup...(kewl)...And that Gerard...Yum, yum, yum...

G'night Liverpool!

Sweet dreams!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter