Just beyond the shadow of a doubt

This blog was created for me to put my musings down in written form, and maybe help others make choices through lessons that I have learned. Sometimes I just use it to get the words out of my head, or figure out something, or just because I want to.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

England 2005 - Chapter 10

7:45 am - Saturday, May 28, 2005
NOW THAT'S HOW YOU DO LONDON!!!

Well for starters I'm still having the strange stomach pain, not as intense, but it's still there and is throwing me right off. But at least I'm coping now.

So I got up, had some tea & toast, got prettied up and hit the road around 9:30am. The morning was already gorgeous, and I didn't bring any sunscreen, but I wasn't really worried, because, this is England, right?

I had no idea what to do with myself, so I set out on foot in Kensington Gardens, sounds fancy, it's just a big lovely park. I was still feeling a little wonky, but I brought a banana and sat down to eat it, feeling a little better. Then I walked around the Italian Gardens and looked at a map. Oooooooh a statue of Peter Pan, I definitely want to see that. I went all the way around the outside of the park. I got honked at a couple of times, because I'm so cute, and of course I waved back, it's only the polite thing to do, and hey...the Queen does it, right?

I found a little river and stopped for an orange pop-up popsicle, which I banked would be safe for my stomach, and a bottle of water. Just as I was turning around I noticed a little old lady sitting with the back of a truck open. I asked if she was selling the maps I could see in the boxes inside. The back of the truck was set up like a little office. She said no, all she had were last year's map, but I could have one if I liked. I said I really would. We chatted a bit. She asked if I was on my own as we had talked about this being a lovely vacation. And I found myself getting a little chocked up. I could feel myself holding back tears as I answered "Yes, and I don't really know what to do with myself, so a walk seemd like a good idea." She sent me on my way to the sites I wanted to see.

First a stop at the Diana Memorial Fountain. Very beautiful, calming, and clean. I paddled my feet in the water a bit. Then I went off to find Peter Pan. JM Barrie had apparently written much of the story in Kensington Park. The Peter Pan statue I saw looks like the one in the movie Hook.

Then I was a bit at a loss, but decided to go to the opposite end of the adjoining Hyde Park to check out Speakers Corner, which is an open forum area that is used regularly for people to speak their mind to the public. But, as I found out upon arriving, only on Saturdays. But there you could rent a deck chair for £2 for 2 hours. There were these great little white and green stipped deck chairs spread out all over the grass but being such a marvellous day there were only a few rented, the rest of the sun worshippers were simply spread out on the grass.

It was just before noon and I decided that I should have more water and another popsicle thing. When I got to the concession stand I saw they sold tomato basil soup. Something healthy!!! I got a bowl of it and then asked for ice cubes as it was quite a hot day. She laughed and asked if I wanted it cold. I said yes, it was too hot today to eat hot soup outside. She went into the fridge and poured me a whole new bowl of cold soup...YAY!

I made my way back to the grass and settled myself down in front of two attractive blokes. Before you get your hopes up...no...no...no such luck. I ate my lovely cold soup and drank my water.

Now what?

Might as well head up to the subway and pick a spot to go for the afternoon. On my way there a gentleman came up and was selling tickets for an open air double decker bus tour. That's it! That's what I'm going to do! So I bought a ticket £20, you can hope on and off for 24 hours. There are three different tours, a live commentary and access to a boat ride down the Thames. Marvellous! And so I got on.

I didn't realize I was going pink until it ws too late. Around 1:30. I didn't have any sunscreen with me (remember...England), didn't have any where to buy it close by, and pigured that at this point even with the sunscreen my skin would still hurt. Luckily I was carrying my pashmina which had been used lots all day (best travelling accessory EVER...it's the upgrade to the towel). So I wrapped my upper body with it and carried on. Around 3:30 I realized I should start heading back to the hotel and make some phone calls. I started by calling B and we arranged that she would come to me for 5:30.

I cabbed back and got ready. My sunburn was just that, a full fledged red sunburn covering my arms (except where my stupid clunky watch had been) shoulders, chest and upper back. Dummy! Yes, I was, but come on...it's England! And it's quite a bit North of us in Toronto and HEY...it's England...Not CUBA. Okay, lesson learned!

B met me here on time, and we went out, swung by her place so she could get changed after work. I swapped for some of her shoes. We went across the street to a little Italian style restaurant. London's Il Fornello. I ate a salad and half a pizza. The salad was Great! The pizza, just okay. But I at lots, the first real meal in two days and a glass of wine. I had been eating popsicles and drinking water throughout the day, so even though I was burnt to a crisp, I was well hydrated.

After dinner we head up to Picadilly Circus to Jewel, where we had been the night before. I ordered a champagne drink with passion fruit. It had floaty passion fruit seeds that were being bounced around by the fizzy, like little gross fish. I just couldn't finish it. Plus I was really mellow, in no mood for dancing. Ah ha! I've got an idea...Red Bull & Vodka...British Red Bull none the less. Please! Yup, that's what I needed, a real kick in the pants! We had two more at jewel , didn't like the odds at all and headed around the corner to Tiger Tiger. Dance Bar.

There we danced and drank the night away. Aside from being mauled on the dancefloor by the odd creepy guy, I really got nothing. Seriously, sorry everyone, no sordid tales to tell.

We took an unlicensed cab home....oooooooh (apparently not the -safest- of things...but come on, their cabs stop running at 2am...seriously!!!)

Off to bed immediately (it was pretty late though). I was up bright and early at 8am this morning. B is meeting me here at noon. I'll pack up this morning for my early departure tomorrow and get ready, maybe take a walk. It will have to be long sleeves today *sigh*...another sunny day, only a little cooler and windy...

Well...come on feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter